Our top reviews speak for themselves... and they are all independent of our site, so you know they're unbiased!
Terms & Conditions
Over the years we have fine-tuned our tour processes to ensure a safe, stress-free and awesome New Zealand tour. Make sure you read our T & C's below to ensure you understand some key points including how we manage activities purchased on tour.
Please get in touch if you have any questions whatsoever as we are always here to help :-)
Terms and Conditions
Your contract is with HAKA TOURS Ltd referred to as "HAKA TOURS".
A deposit of 5% is required at the time of booking, or full payment if booking is inside 30 days of departure, to secure your reservation.
All fares published supersede all prices previously advertised. Stated duration counts from day of departure to the day of return. HAKA TOURS reserves the right to cancel any ticket or booking or to refuse to carry any passenger where payment has not been received by HAKA TOURS within the specified time. Prices include New Zealand Government Goods and Services Tax (where applicable).
HAKA TOURS reserves the right to make changes to their itineraries or cancel any trip, including a guaranteed trip, at any time prior to departure if something beyond the control of HAKA TOURS deems it necessary; including natural disasters, political instability, terrorism, weather, cultural conditions or other external events. It is imperative that passengers check the most up-to-date information from our website just prior to their trip departing.
If HAKA TOURS cancels a trip on which you are holding a fully paid booking you may choose between an alternative trip or a full refund. The company is not responsible for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking such as visas, vaccinations, or non-refundable flights. If the alternative trip chosen is of a lower value than that originally booked then you are entitled to a refund of the price difference. If the alternative tour chosen is of a higher value then you will pay the difference in price.
|Period||% Cancellation Fee|
|Outside 30 days||Loss of deposit|
|20-29 days prior||30% of holiday cost|
|14-19 days prior||50% of holiday cost|
|7-13 days prior||70% of holiday cost|
|2-6 days prior||90% of holiday cost|
|Within 48 hours||100% of holiday cost|
(Note: Holiday cost includes base tour price, any add-ons and activites booked through us). Please be aware that if you have booked through a third party like a travel agent, their cancellation policy and terms and conditions may differ to our own. Be sure to check their particular terms and conditions, including cancellation policy, as they will apply.
No refund will be made if you voluntarily leave a trip for any reason. This includes refund of accommodation, transport, sightseeing, activities, meals or services not utilised.
HAKA TOURS offer adventure tours across New Zealand that are designed for travellers aged between 18 to 45. In practice, this means that travellers under the age of 18 or over the age of 45 cannot travel without prior agreement by our operational staff. Please get in contact if you are outside of this age bracket to discuss.
In many parts of New Zealand HAKA TOURS works with highly reputable local specialist operators. These local partners are all passionate about the activities they operate and offer the same high standards as HAKA TOURS.
Within New Zealand travel, each passenger is entitled to take one case, the sum of its length, width and depth not to exceed 160 cm (63 inches), weight limit 20 kilos along with a small day pack. Airlines permit only one cabin bag per person, in which personal items such as cameras, make-up etc. should be carried, though you need to check with your airline provider as to their specific requirements. Over-limit luggage cannot be carried. HAKA TOURS operates in a similar way and asks if you have over the above limit to please get in touch before your tour. Baggage is at 'owner's risk'. Most airports, hotels & hostels offer storage services for additional luggage.
Important Information Exclusion of Liability
- Whilst HAKA TOURS will take all reasonable steps to provide an enjoyable tour, it accepts no liability for any loss of enjoyment experienced by passengers due to circumstances beyond its control. HAKA TOURS further accepts no liability for any loss beyond its reasonable control and provides no warranties in addition to those set out under the The Fair Trading Act 1986, and nothing herein restricts any passenger from exercising their rights and remedies pursuant to law.
- Your Travel Agent will forward booking confirmations and other payments to HAKA TOURS on your behalf, but your Travel Agent is not our agent for the purpose of receipt of monies. Receipt of booking confirmations and subsequent payments by the travel agent does not constitute receipt of those monies by HAKA TOURS and the Travel Agent has no authority expressed or implied to receive monies on our behalf. There is no liability on the part of HAKA TOURS in respect to any monies paid to the passenger's Travel Agent unless and until HAKA TOURS notifies the passenger (by way of a booking confirmation advice or payment receipt advice) that monies have been received by HAKA TOURS.
- The optional tour excursions are not operated by, or at the direction of, or on behalf of HAKA TOURS, its employees or agents or any other persons or companies associated with HAKA TOURS. All Optional Activities are an additional cost to the tour price and by taking bookings for these tours, HAKA TOURS acts as each optional tour operator's agent.
- These tours include the services of operators other than HAKA TOURS e.g. hoteliers, airlines and optional tour excursions, which are not under the direct control of HAKA TOURS, and whilst HAKA TOURS takes all reasonable care in selecting these operators, it cannot accept responsibility for those operators' conduct or the conduct of their representative employees or agents or for any ramifications of that conduct.
- On tours including activities such as trekking, swimming and snorkelling, passengers accept that degrees of risk are involved.
- No passenger will be permitted to embark or continue on tour while their mental or physical condition is, in the opinion of any representative of HAKA TOURS, such as to render them incapable of caring for themselves, or whereby they become objectionable to other passengers, or they become a hazard to themselves or other passengers. HAKA TOURS will not be responsible for expenses resulting in such persons being precluded from completing the tour.
A charge of $25 NZD will apply to any change of tour departure requested after the original booking has been confirmed (except when change is due to HAKA TOURS cancelling a tour departure). If there is any change to the price of the tour that you change your booking to since the time of your original reservation, the new tour price will apply to the new reservation.
We guarantee that our online Add-On Activity prices are discounted from the retail rate, exclusively for our customers. However, the activities' retail prices are set by other operators and may rise at any time, out of our control. Therefore at 30 days prior to tour departure HAKA TOURS reserves the right to charge customers any difference in price in order to match the most recent online discounted price at that time. This includes Extreme Activity Packs. We estimate that activity prices usually go up 2-5% per year. The price difference will appear on your account as "Activity Price Alignment". Furthermore, by pre-booking additional activities, you also confirm your acceptance of our "Optional Activities Booked On Tour" policy below which are also operated by a voucher process.
Optional Activities Booked On Tour
Activities booked on tour will be charged at the standard retail rate. We operate a voucher system with our activity partners which means we pay in full via a "voucher" for any optional activities instead of you paying the activity provider direct. The activities you select whilst on tour will be added to your "Activity Balance Sheet" with the full balance taken at the end of the tour or when your activity balance exceeds $500 NZD. By operating a voucher system with our activity suppliers, we are able to better manage tour logistics. If there is a special offer advertised online or in print for any activity, please advise your Tour Manager so your activity can be booked with this special offer. Your activity balance can be paid via MasterCard, Visa or cash. Credit card payments have a 1.5% credit card processing fee. Haka Tours does not qualify for any group booking discount with our activity suppliers. By agreeing to these terms and conditions you agree to our activity voucher process whilst on tour.
Itineraries are subject to alteration without notice and intended as a guide only. Alterations may come about due to road or weather conditions, strikes, public holidays, local festivals and cultural or other reasons. Due to the nature of the terrain and remote areas, weather fluctuations can adversely affect road conditions that may necessitate alterations to itinerary with little or no notice. Any additional expense incurred by the passenger is not HAKA TOURS responsibility. HAKA TOURS can give no guarantee as to the exact arrival and departure times for carriers and operators used by HAKA TOURS in the tour and HAKA TOURS will not be liable for failure of any other services or attractions beyond its control.
As is normally the case with group tours, a minimum number of bookings are required in order for a tour to be financially viable and to have a pleasant group atmosphere. In the event that adequate numbers cannot be achieved, it may be necessary to cancel a scheduled departure and to offer the nearest possible alternative date (or a full refund of monies paid). The date on which the decision is made whether a tour will operate is usually four weeks before the scheduled departure date. In the event of a breakdown or other unforeseen circumstances, the operator reserves the right to substitute vehicles other than those specified to ensure the operation of a tour.
Government regulations forbid smoking in tourist coaches. The vast majority of hostels also are non-smoking, with some having designated smoking areas outside.
If a problem occurs during your tour, then it is in your own best interests to advise your Tour Manager immediately so that steps can be taken to resolve the matter there and then. If you remain dissatisfied, any complaint must be made in writing to us within 30 days.
We strongly recommend passengers to take out travel insurance to cover any unforeseen circumstances that may arise (including cancellation fees, medical and curtailment expenses, loss of luggage, early departure from tour due to death or illness etc). Your insurance should provide cover against personal accident, medical expenses, emergency repatriation and personal liability as well as any adventure activities that are not covered under a standard insurance policy. We recommend it also covers any unforeseen circumstances which may arise (including cancellation fees, curtailment expenses, loss of luggage, early departure from tour due to death or illness etc). We strongly recommend that you take our travel insurance before entering New Zealand. HAKA TOURS are not liable for any lack of insurance on your behalf.
Accident Compensation Commission (ACC)
If you are injured whilst in New Zealand, ACC may be able to help with the cost of the treatment and support you need whilst you're here. However, it is important to be aware that you cannot sue for personal injury - ACC replaces that right. Furthermore, ACC only covers treatment and rehabilitation costs whilst in New Zealand; it is not a replacement for travel insurance and does not cover illness, disrupted travel plans or emergency travel to get you back home.
Fitness and Medicals
Some activities are strenuous of nature. Passengers should be of reasonable health and fitness and carry all required medication. HAKA TOURS must be advised of any prior medical conditions at time of booking.